Paraben Free, non-Nano, uncoated zinc oxide and EWG Approved for Babies And Kids (Updated)
The majority of sunscreens currently on the market are full of questionable ingredients and known carcinogens. Thinkbaby~
Have you been using conventional sunscreens on your children that claim to have highest SPF, waterproof, and safe?
If so, you need to know that you may be putting carcinogens and other harmful chemicals in the largest organ on children’s body– the skin.
According to the Environmental Working Group most sunscreens for babies and kids have at least three strikes against them: oxybenzone, retinyl palmitate and SPFs above 50+. Four have an additional strike: they’re aerosol sprays that can expose sensitive young lungs to potentially hazardous chemicals. Convenient? Yes. Good for kids? Absolutely not.
As parents we always want to find the best for our children. Sunscreens shouldn’t be the exception.
I know that finding the safest sunscreen for babies or children that are made without harsh chemicals, and organic ingredients can be daunting. I take my son’s health very seriously, and I am sure you do too– That is why I decided to do a some investigating about the best sunscreens for babies and children.
Just about all sunscreens I’ve suggested were required to be free from Parabens, Phthalates, PEG’s (polyethylene glycols), Propylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, SLS/SLES, and a multitude of other chemicals that are harmful. Essentially, they should contain organic and safe ingredients.
However, the sunscreen ingredient I primarily suggest avoiding is the synthetic chemical oxybenzone. Oxybenzone is an endocrine disruptor that affects the nervous system, continues to be known to cause cancer in some laboratory research studies, and fosters free-radicals when exposed to the sun which happen to be unsafe.
My first stop was with the The Environmental Working Group (EWG) database. The EWG specializes in research and advocacy in the areas of toxic chemicals, agricultural subsidies, public lands, and corporate accountability. Additionally, they are the authority and most reputable organization when it comes to biased product safety .
My second stop was the safecosmetics.org. This great organization works to protect the health of consumers, workers and the environment through public education and engagement, corporate accountability and sustainability campaigns and legislative advocacy designed to eliminate dangerous chemicals linked to adverse health impacts from cosmetics and personal care products. Safecosmetics.org give us the Top 4 safe cosmetics tips for babies below:
Additionally, I’ve also taken the time to read the ingredients list, and do a little more research upon those ingredients and their effects on our health.
What I am mainly looking for are: carcinogens, parabens, and endocrine disruptors– which are chemicals that may interfere with the body’s endocrine system and produce adverse developmental, reproductive, and neurological. (Source) Finally, I look up their composition, read tons of reviews, and their safety ratings mainly based on the EWG’s The list below will definitely help you make an educated decision when it comes to the right product.
1. Adorable Baby SPF 30+ Non-Nano UBA/UVB Sunscreen
2. NEW All Good SPF 30 Kids Sunscreen Lotion
Including the benefits of organic green tea and rose hip antioxidants, elemental herbs All Good Sunscreen Lotion SPF 30 Kids is safe for coral reefs, and most importantly for children– in my opinion a very good organic sunscreen. Some of the features that I love the most are:
- 80 Minute Water Resistant
- Non-Nano Zinc Only
- Lightweight formula, non-greasy
- Sport — organic green tea, rose hips and buriti oil for repairing damaged skin
- Kids — organic chamomile for gently soothing sensitive skin
All Good sunscreen lotion leaves no white residue. Natural and practical, elemental Herbs incorporates ingredients that have been used as healing and soothing remedies for generations. Certified Organic to USDA/NOP Standards.
3. All Terrain KidSport Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30
4. ATTITUDE Little Ones 100% Mineral Sunscreen, SPF 30
- Carcinogen, 1,4-Dioxane & Ethylene Oxide Free ( Tested by an Independent Laboratory)
- Hypoallergenic Natural Sunscreen Made with 100% Mineral Active Ingredient (Zinc Oxide)
- Carcinogen-Free Ingredients or By-Products (IARC Group 1 & 2)
- Certified Eco-Friendly by EcoLogo, the Most Recognized Certification in North America CO2
- Fragrance Derived from Natural Ingredients, Hypoallergenic, Respect IFRA (International Fragrance Association)
- Standards Fragrance without CMR (Carcinogens, Mutagens or Toxic for Reproduction)
- Compounds Not Tested on Animals Vegan Product Septic Tank Safe
5. Babyhampton beach*bum sunscreens for babies, SPF 30
The TotLogic Safe Sunscreen SPF 30 is a brand new line of natural sunscreens for toddlers with no artificial colors or fragrances, and best of all– is plant based, made in the USA with natural ingredients. Here are some more reasons to try it:
- RATED # 1 on EWG, Water Resistant & Sweat Resistant Up To 80 Minutes
- Highly Effective, Reef Safe, Vegan, Non-Nano, No Parabens, No Phthalates, Hypoallergenic, Cruelty Free
- Safe & Effective Formula For Babies Over 6 Months & Loved by People Of All Ages
- Made In The U.S.A.
11. Badger Kids Sunscreen Cream, SPF 30
12. Bare Belly Organics Baby Sunscreen, SPF 30
13. BurnOut Kids Physical Sunscreen, SPF 35
A favorite among dermatologists and pedatritians, BurnOut Kids Physical Sunscreen, SPF 35 is the perfect sunscreen for babies and kids! Recommended by pediatricians and dermatologists.
- Chemical-free, paraben-free, petroleum-free, PABA-free. Recommended by pediatricians and dermatologists
- UVA/UVB broad-spectrum protection
- Hypoallergenic, non-comedogenic, fragrance-free, non-greasy, and perfect for sensitive skin. Hypoallergenic, non-comedogenic, fragrance-free, non-greasy, and perfect for sensitive skin.
- Biodegradable, ocean-safe, and eco-sensitive. Rich in Antioxidants, and enriched with Extracts of Helionori, Pomegranate, and Plantain to protect and nourish skin.
14. Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen, Baby, SPF 30+
15. Kiss My Face Organics Kids Mineral Sunscreen, SPF 30
As always sunscreen should be your last resort, but we all know that Vitamin D is crucial for optimum health. Check the he URL for the US Naval Observatory Azimuth table in this article which explains the best times for safe sun exposure. Avoid the sun when UVA rays are present (below 45 degrees).
Get the full Sunscreens Guide by the Environmental Working Group here.
What is your favorite sunscreen? Do you have a preference when it comes to brands or ingredients? Please share below.