Paraben-Free, non-Nano, uncoated zinc oxide + EWG Approved for Babies And Kids (UPDATED)
The majority of sunscreens currently on the market are full of questionable ingredients and known carcinogens. Thinkbaby~
Have you been using conventional sunscreens on your children that claim to have highest SPF, waterproof, and safe?
If so, you need to know that you may be putting carcinogens and other harmful chemicals in the largest organ on children’s body– the skin.
According to the Environmental Working Group most sunscreens for babies and kids have at least three strikes against them: oxybenzone, retinyl palmitate and SPFs above 50+. Four have an additional strike: they’re aerosol sprays that can expose sensitive young lungs to potentially hazardous chemicals. Convenient? Yes. Good for kids? Absolutely not.
As parents, we always want to find the best for our children. Sunscreens shouldn’t be the exception.
I know that finding the safest sunscreen for babies or children that are made without harsh chemicals, and organic ingredients can be daunting. I take my son’s health very seriously, and I am sure you do too– That is why I decided to do some investigating about the best sunscreens for babies and children.
Just about all sunscreens, even sunscreen for face I’ve suggested were required to be free from Parabens, Phthalates, PEG’s (polyethylene glycols), Propylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, SLS/SLES, and a multitude of other chemicals that are harmful. Essentially, they should contain organic and safe ingredients.
However, the sunscreen ingredient I primarily suggest avoiding is the synthetic chemical oxybenzone. Oxybenzone is an endocrine disruptor that affects the nervous system, continues to be known to cause cancer in some laboratory research studies, and fosters free-radicals when exposed to the sun which happens to be unsafe.
My first stop was with the The Environmental Working Group (EWG) database. The EWG specializes in research and advocacy in the areas of toxic chemicals, agricultural subsidies, public lands, and corporate accountability. Additionally, they are the authority and most reputable organization when it comes to biased product safety.
My second stop was the safecosmetics.org. This great organization works to protect the health of consumers, workers, and the environment through public education and engagement, corporate accountability and sustainability campaigns, and legislative advocacy designed to eliminate dangerous chemicals linked to adverse health impacts from cosmetics and personal care products. Safecosmetics.org give us the Top 4 safe cosmetics tips for babies below:
Additionally, I’ve also taken the time to read the ingredients list, and do a little more research upon those ingredients and their effects on our health.
What I am mainly looking for are carcinogens, parabens, and endocrine disruptors-– which are chemicals that may interfere with the body’s endocrine system. They produce adverse developmental, reproductive, and neurological. (Source) Finally, I look up their composition, read tons of reviews, and their safety ratings mainly based on the EWG’s The list below will definitely help you make an educated decision when it comes to the right product.
1. Adorable Baby SPF 30+ Non-Nano UBA/UVB Sunscreen
Adorable Baby Sunscreen Sunscreen is formulated especially for babies and offers great safety ratings as their original formula with improved consistency and feel. It has been rated as on of the best sunscreens for babies in the market, due to its effectiveness. It can be used alone or in combination with a sunscreen stick on all exposed skin. If any dryness occurs, follow up in the evening with our lightly scented or unscented baby oils or lotions. (Try it here)
2. NEW All Good SPF 30 Kids Sunscreen Lotion
Including the benefits of organic green tea and rose hip antioxidants, elemental herbs All Good Sunscreen Lotion SPF 30 Kidsnofollow is safe for coral reefs, and most importantly for children– in my opinion a very good organic sunscreen. Some of the features that I love the most are:
- 80 Minute Water Resistant
- Non-Nano Zinc Only
- Lightweight formula, non-greasy
- Sport — organic green tea, rose hips and buriti oil for repairing damaged skin
- Kids — organic chamomile for gently soothing sensitive skin
All Good sunscreen lotion leaves no white residue. Natural and practical, elemental Herbs incorporates ingredients that have been used as healing and soothing remedies for generations. Certified Organic to USDA/NOP Standards.
3. All Terrain KidSport Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30
All Terrain KidSport Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30 is an award-winning KidSport sunscreen lotion for parents who want natural, effective, oxybenzone- and paraben-free sunscreens. Offering broad-spectrum UVA/UVB protection with non-Nano, uncoated zinc oxide. Using transparent zinc oxide, Kid Sport is non-whitening, non-greasy, fragrance-free and won’t cause eye sting so it is great for kids with sensitive skin.All Terrain is an environmentally-friendly and certified cruelty-free company, using natural, biodegradable ingredients. All-Terrain has disproved the myth that if it’s natural, it can’t work as well as chemical-based products. Note: I have tested All terrain lotion vs the spray because there were issues reported with the pump.
4. ATTITUDE Little Ones 100% Mineral Sunscreen, SPF 30
ATTITUDE Little Onesnofollow develops products with uncompromised safety in mind, using only worry-free ingredients. While cancer-causing chemicals, mutagens, and reproductive toxins are still legally tolerated contaminants found in personal care and household products, you won’t find them in this great product.What makes this sunscreen on of my favorites:
- Carcinogen, 1,4-Dioxane & Ethylene Oxide Free ( Tested by an Independent Laboratory)
- Hypoallergenic Natural Sunscreen Made with 100% Mineral Active Ingredient (Zinc Oxide)
- Carcinogen-Free Ingredients or By-Products (IARC Group 1 & 2)
- Certified Eco-Friendly by EcoLogo, the Most Recognized Certification in North America CO2
- Fragrance Derived from Natural Ingredients, Hypoallergenic, Respect IFRA (International Fragrance Association)
- Standards Fragrance without CMR (Carcinogens, Mutagens or Toxic for Reproduction)
- Compounds Not Tested on Animals Vegan Product Septic Tank Safe
5. Babyhampton beach*bum sunscreens for babies, SPF 30
The TotLogic Safe Sunscreen SPF 30nofollow is a brand new line of natural sunscreens for babies and toddlers with no artificial colors or fragrances, and best of all– is plant-based, made in the USA with natural ingredients. Here are some more reasons to try it:
- RATED # 1 on EWG, Water Resistant & Sweat Resistant Up To 80 Minutes
- Highly Effective, Reef Safe, Vegan, Non-Nano, No Parabens, No Phthalates, Hypoallergenic, Cruelty-Free
- Safe & Effective Formula of Sunscreens for Babies Over 6 Months & Loved by People Of All Ages
- Made In The U.S.A.
11. Badger Kids Sunscreen Cream, SPF 30
12. Bare Belly Organics Baby Sunscreen, SPF 30
13. BurnOut Kids Physical Sunscreen, SPF 35
A favorite among dermatologists and pedatritians, BurnOut Kids Physical Sunscreen, SPF 35 is the perfect sunscreen for babies and kids! Recommended by pediatricians and dermatologists.
- Chemical-free, paraben-free, petroleum-free, PABA-free. Recommended by pediatricians and dermatologists
- UVA/UVB broad-spectrum protection
- Hypoallergenic, non-comedogenic, fragrance-free, non-greasy, and perfect for sensitive skin. Hypoallergenic, non-comedogenic, fragrance-free, non-greasy, and perfect for sensitive skin.
- Biodegradable, ocean-safe, and eco-sensitive. Rich in Antioxidants, and enriched with Extracts of Helionori, Pomegranate, and Plantain to protect and nourish skin.
14. Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen, Baby, SPF 30+
15. Kiss My Face Organics Kids Mineral Sunscreen, SPF 30
As always sunscreen should be your last resort, because we all know that Vitamin D is crucial for optimal health. Check the URL for the US Naval Observatory Azimuth table in this article which explains the best times for safe sun exposure. Avoid the sun when UVA rays are present (below 45 degrees).
Get the full Sunscreens Guide by the Environmental Working Group (updated every year) here.
What is your favorite sunscreen? Do you have a preference when it comes to brands or ingredients? Please share below.