Natural sunscreens are on-demand right now and with good reason. More emphasis is being placed on green living today and including the right products that provide protection from the sun; UVA rays mainly.
Exposure to the sun is absolutely crucial to prevent diseases and for optimum health, as opposed to what we have been told for years. That being said, not every product that claims to be a natural sunscreen really has the safest or organic ingredients you expect.
Just about all sunscreens, I’ve suggested were required to be free from Parabens, SLS/SLES, Propylene Glycol, Phthalates, PEG’s (polyethylene glycols), Phenoxyethanol, and a multitude of other chemical compounds that I am not even going to mention. Essentially, they should contain organic and safe ingredients. The sunscreen ingredient that I highly suggest you avoid is the synthetic chemical oxybenzone. Oxybenzone is an endocrine disruptor that affects the nervous system, is known to cause cancer in some laboratory research studies, and fosters free-radicals when exposed to the sun which happens to be very harmful and unsafe.
The best natural sunscreens are those made with safe or organic ingredients and without harmful chemicals.
They should stay on even when you are active, and not only keeps you safe in the summer but actually improve the look and feel of your skin. Get ready to protect your skin with confidence, with these top picks carefully chosen from the Environmental Working Group’s 2017 guide to the safest sunscreens.
Here are my top 10 Natural Sunscreens:
There are a lot of excellent ingredients found in Aubrey Organics Natural Sunscreens (Try Aubrey Organics here) which allowed this product to make our top pick. It features aloe vera, green tea, jojoba oil, sunflower seed oil, and several flower extracts which can improve the softness of your skin while the SPF 30 keeps the sunburn away. Those who place big emphasis on environmentally-friendly products will approve of Aubrey Organics and their range of organic sunblock because all of the ingredients the company uses are fully biodegradable.
They never test on animals. The price is also an attractive feature of this brand of sun protection products. They even have sunscreens for baby care.
The name of this product alone is enough to attract enthusiasts, but there is more to Beauty without Cruelty sunblock (Try Beauty without Cruelty here) besides the fact that their products are not tested on animals nor contain animal-derived ingredients. Natural sunscreens like this have a lot more to offer, such as quick absorption in the skin with a non-greasy application, healthy oils that boost skin health, such as castor oil, jojoba oil, and sunflower seed oil, as well as highly effective UVA and UVB sun protection.
Raw Elements Sunscreen comes packaged in an attractive green label, representing the company’s devotion to a green lifestyle. Of course, not everything about a product can be deduced from the color of label. The sunscreen Raw Elements Eco Formula Sunscreen (Try Raw Elements Eco Formula Sunscreeen here ) has brought to the market boasts some attractive features and benefits.
For example, this is the number one rated sunscreen when it comes to safety and efficacy. Not only do they offer powerful skin protection from the sun, but their natural sunscreens come in skin tone colors, enhancing users’ appearance. This is one organic sunblock that will never cause stinging in the eyes. It does not run when your sweat, but is utterly waterproof for up to 80 minutes.
No longer do those seeking to protect their skin from sunburn and other harmful effects of UV rays need to suffer when it comes to scent. Babo Botanicals 30 SPF Clear Zinc Sunscreen (Try Babo Botanicals here), is not only a natural sunscreen, but it comes with a delightful, fresh apple scent that makes it a pleasure to wear. Yet, the ingredients are all-natural from an organic farm upstate New York for those of us who support local USA made products.
There are several other great things found in the mix, such as Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Juice, Water (aqua), Camelia Sinensis (Green Tea) Extract*, Glycerin, Caprylic Capric Triglyceride, Rosa Canina (Rose Hip) Fruit Oil*, Buriti (Mauritia Vinifera) Fruit Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil*, and many more ingredients that help make natural sunscreens like this quite impressive.
For those of you that enjoy water sports or the beach, there is the Sports version Babo Clear Zinc Sport Stick which has the benefits of being water-resistant, lasts longer and is unscented. Helps prevent sunburn, helps prevent and relieve chapped face, lips, nose and ears.
Now if you want to go the ultra-natural route use Organic Coconut Oil which according to the latest claims serves as a skin moisturizer. That being said, you must make sure you wear protective clothing and make sure not to get a sunburn.
Warning: I wouldn’t try this approach on infants and children under 12 (use common sense always). UVB rays (the good rays) are at their peak around noon, and they are more easily filtered in overcast and cloudy weather.
UVA rays are not filtered as well, so even when it’s cloudy outside, these rays are still shining through. Also, UVB rays are not as strong early and late in the day, but UVA rays are. Something to keep in mind if you enjoy outdoor activities early in the morning or in the evening. You can find more information and a recipe to make your own Homemade Coconut Oil Sunscreen Recipe at the (Source).
- 6% Certified Organic Ingredient Formula
- 25% Non-nano Zinc Oxide Active Ingredient, Broad-spectrum, 97% UV protection (SPF 32)
- Baby and Child Safe with just 8 ingredients
- Biodegradable, Safe for Protected Aquatic Parks, Reef-Safe
- Fragrance-free, gluten-free, corn-free, chemical-free and vegan
- NON-GREASY & REEF-SAFE: New AquaSport SPF45 Sunscreen is easy to apply & doesn’t leave white residue on the skin. This reef-safe, water-resistant, non-greasy, mineral sunscreen is a great choice for you and your family.
- PROTECT YOUR SKIN: From surfing the waves to splashing in the backyard pool, All Terrain’s safe & effective AquaSport Sunscreen lotion has your skin covered. Free of Oxybenzone & Octinoxate.
- BROAD SPECTRUM PROTECTION: AquaSport SPF45 Sunscreen Lotion is formulated with Zinc Oxide & Titanium Dioxide to filter the sun’s harmful UVA & UVB rays. Reduces the risk of sunburn when used as directed.
- ACTIVE LIFESTYLE: Started by an outdoor enthusiast, All Terrain offers a broad line of safe & effective insect repellents, sunscreens, topical first aid, itch relief soaps, creams & sprays.
- ALL TERRAIN: All Terrain is committed to providing safe & effective, environmentally-friendly, cruelty-free skincare protection products to help you & your family live an active, healthy life.
- EWG TOP-RATED SUNSCREEN – Performance-driven face and body sun protection lasts up to 80 minutes and does not run or sting your eyes
- DAILY USE FOR ALL AGES – Gentle, moisturizing formula can be used as part of your daily skin care routine and is gentle enough for kids
- CERTIFIED ORGANIC NATURAL MINERAL SUNSCREEN – Soy, gluten and nut free, contains no synthetic chemicals and packed with nourishing antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, so your skin stays protected long after environmental exposure
- SPF 30+ BROAD-SPECTRUM PROTECTION – With a sole active ingredient of 23% Non-Nano Zinc Oxide, our Face + Body Lotion 30+ provides UVA-UVB true broad-spectrum coverage
- SAFE FOR OUR PLANET – Reef-safe, Leaping Bunny certified cruelty-free, non-GMO and biodegradable in recyclable packaging. Protect yourself and the environment!
- CLEAR SUNSCREEN CREAM – Badger’s SPF 30 Clear Zinc Sunscreen Cream rubs in clear to blend with most skin tones. The mineral zinc oxide stays on top of your skin, scattering and absorbing UVA & UVB rays, and won’t absorb into your bloodstream. Naturally water and sweat resistant for at least 40 minutes, perfect for the beach, swimming, and light activities.
- CLEAR SUNSCREEN STICK – Badger’s SPF 35 Clear Zinc Sunscreen Sport Stick protects your face, ears, nose and lips. Rubs in clear to blend with most skin tones. The mineral zinc oxide stays on top of your skin, scattering and absorbing UVA & UVB rays, and won’t absorb into your bloodstream. This sport sunscreen stick is naturally water and sweat resistant for at least 80 minutes, great for swimming, surfing, skiing and other sports.
- REEF SAFE SUNSCREEN – Safe for coral means safe for you too! Badger sunscreens are made without oxybenzone or any chemicals shown to harm coral or humans. All Badger sunscreen lotions and creams are top rated for safety and efficacy by the EWG sunscreen guide. This eco-friendly biodegradable sunscreen protects you without endangering marine life.
- 97% ORGANIC INGREDIENTS FOR HEALTHY SKIN – The certified organic sunscreen base ingredients are antioxidant rich, ultra-moisturizing, and great for your skin. Non-GMO, fragrance free, and contains no dyes, parabens, or other artificial ingredients. Healthy botanical ingredients promote healthy skin.
- A BRAND YOU CAN TRUST – Badger is a family owned, women run B Corporation (Benefit Corp) making mineral sunscreen sticks and other organic skin care products that we use on our own families in rural New Hampshire since 1995. We are the leaders in safe natural sunscreens. Don’t just take our word for it, read our ingredients, see what others say about Badger sunscreens, and try them for yourself.
It feels good to put this list together with confidence in knowing that these products have been tested, and evaluated by the authority in safest natural products; The Environmental Working Group (EWG) .
So these are some of my favorite natural sunscreen options when I must.
Did I miss any?
I’d love to hear what your favorite natural or DIY sunscreen you use.
Thank you for helping me spread the word on everything safer/healthier, sharing, and liking my posts. While the community is still growing as healyounaturally gets discovered, it is always a pleasure to hear your thoughts and questions.
To your best health,