(Bonus: Find out about the benefits of Maca powder as a Pre-workout Drink + A Maca Smoothie Recipe)
If you want to naturally increase energy, mental focus, and performance naturally, Maca powder should be part of your daily wholesome food and supplements routine.
The maca plant, scientifically known as Lepidium meyenii, is also referred to as Peruvian ginseng. Maca is a superfood and adaptogenic herb with an outstanding ability to increase energy, stamina, mental focus, and strength. It supplies iron which aids red blood cells to transport oxygen throughout the body and therefore reduces tiredness and fatigue. Maca can contribute to normal immune and cognitive functions.
To the Incas in South America, organic Maca is a highly valuable commodity. Maca is also a favorite of raw foodists, vegetarians, adventurers, extreme athletes, dessert chefs and food alchemists. (Try Maca root)
I am very picky when it comes to supplements or “pre-workout” drinks. Many pre-workout drinks may make you feel jittery, give you palpitations or simply make you feel off. (Someone at the gym recently told me about that, and there’s research demonstrating that some of these drinks are harmful). Energy drinks for starters can be detrimental to your heart health.
I am back at the gym full time since my back is doing better and my physical therapist gave me the green light. I was recently researching for ways to increase energy and vitality naturally without harmful chemicals or side effects for my pre-workout shakes. Maca was one of my choices because it is natural, it tastes great and has a long history of health benefits. Maca has a delicious malt flavor, and it absolutely works. I drink a shake before my work out and I’ve noticed the difference.
Maca root powder is a fantastic source of protein, fiber, several minerals and vitamins, including vitamin C, copper, and iron. Additionally, it contains over 20 different types of amino acids — including all eight essential amino acids — and plenty of health-promoting phytonutrients. Maca contains quite a few beneficial plant compounds, including glucosinolates and polyphenols, and is a popular choice for the vegan diet.
One ounce (or about 2 tablespoons) of maca powder contains approximately: (source)
- 91 calories
- 20 grams of carbohydrates(keep this in mind if you are a Diabetic)
- 4 grams protein
- 1 gram fat
- 2 grams dietary fiber
- 79.8 milligrams vitamin C (133 percent DV)
- 1.7 milligrams copper (84 percent DV)
- 4.1 milligrams iron (23 percent DV)
- 560 milligrams potassium (16 percent DV)
- 0.3 milligram vitamin B6 (16 percent DV)
- 0.2 milligram manganese (11 percent DV)
- 1.6 milligrams niacin (8 percent DV)
- 70 milligrams calcium (7 percent DV)
- 0.1 milligram riboflavin (6 percent DV)
Maca as a Natural pre-workout
In animal studies it was revealed that Maca enhances endurance and performance. Maca root contains a fair amount of fiber, is a good source of carbs and protein, and it’s also high in some essential vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin C, copper, and iron (see above).
- Sports Performance ~ Along with a clean diet, and exercise (cardio and strength training) maca is the ideal superfood for your pre and post work routine. Additionally, it may help increase muscle mass.
Maca is anabolic – The word “anabolic” itself means building up muscle, and that’s something Maca helps to do. That makes Maca unique among all supplements for muscle building. Maca boasts remarkable adaptogenic properties– just like the superfoods ginseng and Ashwagandha. You can use Maca as an additional boost before a big workout.
- Stress Management ~ Maca is commonly known as an adaptogen to support and help balance the body, particularly during stressful circumstances. It is rich in a number of key enzymes, minerals, vitamins, and amino acids that our body can use during heightened levels of stress. Maca may support homeostasis (when the body is in a state of equilibrium and balance) during stressful times, on when your body experiences a hormonal roller coaster.
- Mood Enhancer, PositiveWell Being ~ Maca Powder is famous for the adaptogenic-like qualities that enable it to nourish and balance the body’s delicate endocrine system and to help cope with stress and improve mental clarity. It’s loaded with vitamins, minerals and plant sterols which help promote healthy glossy hair and a radiant glowing skin complexion. Maca Powder benefits for men and women of hormone balancing are well established by scientific research.
- Vivacity ~ Did you know that the Incas in South America consumed maca to endure long journeys, hard work hours and vitality? They also gave it to children to improve performance at school and during sporting events.
Good news for men (and their women ): Maca is a natural male enhancer. It helps increase stamina, endurance and helps with ED (unless you have circulation issues) then that’s a whole protocol. You can check my article on improving circulation and ward off of Cardiovascular disease here. That being said, it has been proven to help men last longer, and have more energy/endurance both in and outside of the bedroom. But that’s not all, women can also benefit from Maca powder to increase libido, enhance mental clarity, and balance hormones. Does it ease the symptoms of PMS and hot flashes, Hello maca where have you been all our lives?
There are many ways to use Maca powder. However one of my favorite ways is to use it is in my maca smoothies…
Here’s a recipe for one of my Healing Super Smoothies™
Have you tried Maca root? How do you use it, and have you noticed a difference? Share your experiences in the comments below.
Image title credit IndiaMART
Interested in Learning more about Maca Root Powder? Here are a few other books you might want to read up on as well:
Maca Root for Health and Vitality: How to Use and Benefit from the Superfood
Red Maca: Complete Information About The Raw Red Maca Root Powder
Maca Root: An Up And Coming Nutrient That Improves Sexual Performance And Fertility