Goldenseal’s numerous uses are attributed to its antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, and astringent properties. This amazing healing plant has been used for centuries to heal many conditions, making it a must-have in your medicine cabinet.
Here are some of the benefits of goldenseal:
- It soothes irritated mucus membranes aiding the eyes, ears, nose, and throat.
- Taken at the first signs of respiratory problems, colds or flu, Goldenseal helps can help to prevent further symptoms from developing. It has also been used to help reduce fevers, and relieve congestion and excess mucus.
- Goldenseal cleanses and promotes healthy glandular functions by increasing bile flow and digestive enzymes, therefore regulating healthy liver and spleen functions.
- It can relieve constipation and may also be used to treat infections of the bladder and intestines as well.
- Goldenseal contains calcium, iron, manganese, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, B-complex, and other nutrients and minerals.
- The roots and rhizomes of goldenseal contain many isoquinoline alkaloids, including hydrastine, berberine, canadine, canadaline, and l-hydrastine as well as traces of essential oil, fatty oil, and resin. It is believed that the high content of these alkaloids gives its antibiotic, anti-infective, and immune-stimulating qualities.
- In particular, it is the alkaloid berberine that is most likely responsible for Goldenseal’s effectiveness against bacteria, protozoa, fungi, Streptococci and it also promotes easier removal of the bacteria by inhibiting their ability to adhere to tissue surfaces. Berberine is also anti-fungal and strongly anti-diarrheal.
- It aids against the infection of mucous membranes such as the lining of the oral cavity, throat, sinus, bronchi, genito-urinary tract and gastrointestinal tract.
- Clinical studies have shown it is effective in the treatment of diarrhea caused by E. coli (traveler’s diarrhea), Shigella dysenteriae (shigellosis), salmonella paratyphi (food poisoning), Giardia lamblia (giardiasis), and vibrio cholera (cholera).
- Goldenseal may also help with allergic rhinitis, hay fever, laryngitis, hepatitis, cystitis, and alcoholic liver disease.
Read the full article from its original source here
Do you supplement or have you used Goldenseal? Did you know of its medicinal purposes? I would love to hear your experiences with this fantastic healing herb.
As always, thanks so much for reading and sharing my articles.
To your best health,